Sunday, September 29, 2013

Cardboard Challenge Compliments

With the Second Annual Cardboard Challenge (inspired by Caine's Arcade) coming up, I thought I'd just bring some extra materials and try something new that day. Then I saw this idea, tweeted out from Gallit Zvi. A place for students to leave compliments? Great way to spread smiles throughout our students' time at school.

Time Length:
     This took me about one and a half hours. It would take a little longer had I not had a box full of scrapbook paper. It would take a little less time if I didn't want to decorate it with stamps or directions.

Difficulties: 
     Not wanting the directions to be too rigid, but wanting some guidance for students.
     My OCD kicking in, as always - I wish I could have been more patient and asked students to decorate it. I think it would look much better. When I compare it to the original one, the green pattern doesn't "pop" like the other one. Kids would've done much better - maybe they'll want to make a new one.
     Wrapping packing tape around it to make it last longer. Why did I do that when I think it could look even better?!?!

What made it easier:
     Using 12 x 12 scrapbook paper - you only need one sheet - to cover the tissue box.

What I might try when I display it:
     Using a digital frame that shuffles through pictures. I'd like to take pictures of beautiful, yet simple compliments, and have them scrolling through, just in case 7th graders don't know what to say. HOWEVER... If I give them examples, will those be the only ones that show up in the box? Any ideas?

4 comments:

  1. Love it!

    The old do I give them examples dilemma...something I struggle with all of the time! I am always hesitant as I do not wish to stifle their creativity and force their thoughts/ideas into a box of 'this is what I am looking for' type responses.

    Honestly Joy, I don't know. But I do know that when I think of myself as a graduate student right now, every time there is an assignment/project, I always find myself craving examples...just to make sure I am on the right track. So, is that my answer? I am still not sure.

    Which way are you leaning? Would love to hear other thoughts on this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm leaning towards no examples. Since much of my philosophy lately is, "Who owns the learning?" I am leaning towards letting them figure it out. For our cardboard challenge, we set up stations, and when you want to roam around to the others, you just have to be sure you have directions available. I think the directions are pretty easy to figure out... and if the compliments go awry, it will be one at a time, not a whole slew of them, right??

      Another idea I came up with on my walk just now (but I still don't think I'll take the time and energy to do it) - use photos of items or animals. Ex: for a jack o'lantern, I could put on it, "Your smile lights up the room." Or... on a picture of a cow, "Thank you for providing me with part of my healthy breakfast." ... ?? Corny, I know. Not doing it. Thanks for responding and asking for others to comment, Gallit! We are for sure better together.

      Delete
  2. I am also doing compliments with my class. I want my students to learn to give and receive a compliment with ease. We have discussed what a genuine and sincere compliment is, and how it is different from a back-handed compliment. I showed them the video, "Street Compliments" by SoulPancake and had them listen to the compliment as well as see how the person receiving it reacted. This helped them really get it without me giving them an exact example of what I meant. I actually have them draw names so they get someone random as my goal is for them to be able to say something nice about everyone in our class eventually. If they don't know the person that well then they need to watch that person during the week and find something nice to say about them or something that they noticed they did that was nice. We also talked a lot about acts of kindness as I want them to notice these things and compliment people on doing them. Hoping it goes as well as last year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kat, I loved your blog post about compliments in your classroom! Being that the cardboard challenge is structured as a "make it that day" event, or "bring it already finished," I can't really preface it with a video or directions... But when we are finished with the challenge, I can add that crucial part! Thank you for your thoughtful comment!

      Delete